Mini review of two of Burson’s products.
- Great punch
- Easy on the ears, more on that below.
- Subpar built-in DAC.
- Blurry in complex passages.
- Raspy bass, not deep or clean.
- Not a neutral / transparent amp, has its own sound signature, perhaps Burson’s house sound. Easy on the ears.
- Burson’s stepped attenuator is awful, DACT / Goldpoint stepped attenuators offer much better feel.
- Not as dynamic as some of the best solid state amps.
- Narrow soundstage. Closed-in, it’s like the music is right in front of my face.
- Very expensive for the sound quality you get.
- Very expensive for the build quality you get. Look at one of HeadAmp’s offerings.
Soloist is very similar to Conductor, except it’s even less dynamic than its bigger brother.
I don’t understand why these two amps get raved reviews. The sound is a huge letdown. I was genuinely interested with one of them and I’m still looking into their new speaker amp.